Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Kayton Mikael

This post is pretty long and I won't be mad if anyone skips straight down to the pictures. 

Our sweet baby girl, Kayton Mikael, decided to grace us with her presence on Friday, June 15th at 9:23 am. She was 7 lbs 1 oz and 20 inches long. 

I went into labor around 2 Thursday afternoon while I was at work. The contractions I was having weren't super bad and were between 20 and 30 minutes apart so I really didn't think anything about it. Once I got home around 7, the contractions really started to hurt. Neight's grandparents were in town for a semi-annual visit, but it also happened that they planned it around Kayton's birth and Neight's graduation. Because we don't get to see his grandparents very often they took us out to dinner. It was really nice to talk with them about our lives and how they are doing in their retirement, but I kept getting distracted by how painful and close together the contractions were.

Around 10:30 Thursday night I decided we should probably go to the hospital, although, while I was making me decision I kept thinking how I really didn't want to be one of "those" women who went to the hospital and have it turn into a false alarm. It's a good thing that we went to the hospital when we did because it was a 45 minute drive and on the way the contractions got even worse! Luckily I had preregisterd with the hospital so it was easy admittance. 

Once in the hospital the nurse that was assigned to me checked me to see how dilated I was and after two hours with no progression she wanted to give me a shot of pain medication and send me home. I explained to her that we lived 45 minutes away and by the time we got back to our house we would probably have to turn right around and drive back to the hospital. Once we had this discussion the nurse said she would call the doctor that was on call to see what she had to say. Luckily the doctor said to give me the shot of morphine there to help me relax and see where I was after an hour. Thankfully after the morphine I was able to relax and progress super fast! After the hour of waiting the nurse moved me into an actual labor and delivery room where I was able to relax a little bit more.

There was only one set of contractions that were bad enough to make me cry, and it was right after the nurse had told me she wanted to send me home, which made me super frustrated.

After moving into the labor and delivery room Neight got some sleep and I tried to sleep between the contractions. Around 5:00 Friday morning I asked for the epidural because the pain was quite a bit more than I wanted to deal with. I was exhausted and ready to sleep. Once I got the epidural the event became super easy and not stressful at all!

Around 7:00, right after the shift change, the doctor came in and said it was time to get things finished. So, 7:30 he broke my water, 8:30 I started pushing, and 9:23 our beautiful baby was born. She was and still is so perfect!

Neight was so fantastic the entire time! I don't know that I would have been able to get through it without him. He let me squeeze his hand during the contractions and was so supportive during the delivery! He even cut the umbilical cord :) I wish there were words to describe how awesome he was, but I don't even know where to start. I guess once a woman is in labor it makes my feelings easier to understand.

Unfortunately we didn't make it to Neight's graduation because it was Friday afternoon, but Kayton did come in time for Father's Day :)

Here are a few of the many pictures we've taken in the last two and a half weeks. I am very biased and cannot get over how beautiful and perfect Kayton is. She has stolen my heart <3

An adorable face with a big yawn

This was taken once I moved into the recovery room, just a few hours after she was born

Grandma Sharen, Auntie Angie, and Auntie Emily

The new and very proud daddy :) Kayton already has him wrapped around her little finger

Once we got home, Neight decided to play with the camera and it's different settings

The Korous Side

After her first bath, she was not very happy with me

Her adorable feet with our rings on them, because I'm silly like that ;)

Rings that fit on one of our fingers have to go on two of hers

Grandpa Chris, another man that she has wrapped around her finger

1 comment:

  1. She is so dang cute!! I can hardly stand it!!! So fun, I love your blog! Glad your doing good:)

    ReplyDelete